Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why Do You Craft?

I was always a very crafty child. I loved to draw, colour, and play music. As I got older and life got busier with school and work, everything else just got put on the backburner because I just did not have time to be creative. When I decided to start working from home, I suddenly had some more free time on my hands. I tried getting back into sewing and quilting, but it just did not hold my attention the same way that it used to.

I started to make some new friends through an online forum, and one of them happened to knit. I have very fond memories of my Mom knitting me hats and mittens for winter, and I regretted never asking her to teach me how to knit. She had moved to Southern Ontario and wasn't available to teach me anymore.

My friend suggested using Youtube and Knitting Help videos to get my started. I picked up a set of knitting needles and some dishcloth cotton and never looked back. I've been knitting since January 2010, and I love it. It's my new obsession, probably going to be a long lasting one. It keeps me entertained and has introduced me to so many new wonderful people.

I love creating handmade gifts for friends and family. Over my short year and a half of knitting I've created baby sweaters, many hats, socks, and recently lace shawls. There's alway something new to try and to learn. Knitting has saved my sanity more than once, and I am never bored anymore as I can just pick it up and knit away.

I don't know if knitting is the only craft I'll ever participate in again. I would love to get into soap and button making. But I'm taking baby steps, and not limiting myself.

So, I want to know. Are you creative? What do you make? Do you have a store?

No comments:

Post a Comment