Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Purple Leaf

I've developed a great love for shawls, shawlettes, wraps, and stoles. I think they are the perfect accessory for any outfit, you can throw them on at the last second and it instantly dresses up and stylizes whatever you are wearing.

At first I was leery of trying lace knitting, it always seemed so complicated. I would lurk in lace knitting forums on Ravelry and marvel at the gorgeous creations people were making. Then one day, after I had finished knitting a lot of baby hats for my local hospital I decided that I needed to suck it up and try knitting a shawl.

My first shawl was a disaster. I read the chart completely wrong and had to rip the entire thing out and start over. Eventually I finished it, and I'm pleased with the end product. I decided I could graduate onto other patterns.

A friend had gifted me with Cedar Leaf Shawlette by Alana Dakos and I had the yarn to do it. I cast on using Malabrigo Silky Merino in the Velvet Grapes colourway, and away I went. The crescent shape and the short row construction was easy and quick. I was at the leaf part of the pattern in no time, and they flew by. I quickly finished the shawlette, and was blocking it out as fast as I could so I would have a snazzy new accessory to wear for Easter weekend.


I loved wearing this shawlette around the town on the weekend, even showing it off at the local yarn store there. It really is gorgeous, and the pattern is simple. Buy the pattern and give it a try!

Happy knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment